One of our neighbors, Scott and Brittney Allen has struggled with fertility issues. Receiving treatment is very expensive, so when she discovered there was a 5K to help raise money for couples to receive fertility treatment, she invited anyone she knew to participate. Everyone that entered the race got to put in a raffle ticket for the couple they were running for to receive treatment. Mark decided to run with me and when I asked the boys if they would like to join, D.J. said he would. When we arrived at Liberty Park, I got out of the van and heard someone yell "Loni's sister!" I looked around and Loni's brother-in-law, Brandon started walking toward me. Although, I didn't remember his name was Brandon at the time and started calling him Nate, another of Matt's brothers. He was running in the park for exercise and when I told him the cause we were running for, he decided to join! He ran home to get money for the entrance fee and came back in time for me to introduce him to the couple he would be running for. He let me continue to call him Nate and introduced him as Nate until a few minutes before the race, he finally informed me that his name was Brandon. Embarrassing. But I'm glad he joined us!
We ran and walked the 5K. I "run" very slowly, so Mark and D.J. ran ahead of me. But I am slow and steady, so I caught up to them after they started walking and D.J. kept a continuous loop of "how much longer?" At the end of the race everybody crowded around the raffle booth while a newscaster lady announced the winner of a full treatment for fertility. Our couple won! Hooray for Team Allen!! They were so happy and so were we!!
Brandon, Mark, Lisa, D.J.
When D.J. discovered that the finish line was 200 yards away, he sprinted the rest of the way.
Go D.J.!
Other odds and ends pictures:
Loni and I have a tradition of bottling peaches and applesauce every August. Here are the fruits of our labor. The process went very quickly this year because Mom was there to help with bottling and keeping kids at bay. Mmmmm!
Damon and Andrew Riddle live three houses down from us. They are the little brothers that we never had. The boys are very good with these little rascals (they really are rascals, cute ones with chipmunk voices). We helped their Mom by babysitting once a week. This was one of the first adventures of the summer as ninjas.
Mark and James are playing a game of set. This game takes brain power. Most games do, but as you can see these two are in serious concentration. Once you get the hang of it, it become easier to make matches with shapes, shading and numbering. I need to practice.
The coming of a new school year means the coming of a new football season. Mark was offered two more seats (for this season only) right by the two he already has. So I accompanied these three boys to the first football game. James had a date with Granna, which was great for all parties since there are only so many trips for dippin' dots an adult can stand and only so many plays an 8-year-old can stand.
GO UTES!!!








No comments:
Post a Comment