OK, maybe that's a little extreme. I don't think my children will grow up to be uni-bombers, though it is maybe more plausible that they all three work together and become the tri-bombers. I wonder if I'm at fault for this. Mark and I are crazy about weapons in our house. We even held off on Nerf guns for a while. Maybe that's why the boys have turned to making their own weapons, because we won't buy them. When DJ first inquired, "Hey Mom, can I look something up on the internet?" I asked him what, and he said, "how to make a paper knife," I thought, meh, what's the harm in a paper knife. Five reams of paper and two bags of hot glue sticks later, we have a paper, wood and duct tape arsenal that would make Genghis Khan jealous.
These are the kind of projects that a mother tries to find the silver lining in. Like a mother who finds out her kid just broke a window to steal a TV and while trying to communicate disappointment, yet love says, "I really wish you hadn't resorted to thievery, but I do admire the strength it took to throw that brick through the window, good aim!" Because I really do admire the hours they put into these projects and their persistence and quite frankly the products are impressive. I hope they realize that they are demonstrating they are capable of the focus and persistence needed for homework and piano. I'm really hoping that all of the creative projects lead them to be architects, engineers or anything not associated with explosives.
So, without further ado, here are a few of the impressive creations:
As far as I can tell there are nun-chucks (that hurt if you get hit by them, personal experience), a ninja star, three short blades, a rapier, and two short, but sturdy swords. They really are impressively heavy and sturdy. The boys roll up and fold layers of paper to produce the weapons and their effects.
D.J. made what looks like a lamp post, but is actually a weapon from the computer game League of Legends, and he is holding it with origami Wolverine claws with some other weapon of destruction in his left hand. Spencer made a gargantuan shield from a box, PVC pipe and duct tape, a specialty sword that he's not going to believe I can't remember the name for, and a tomahawk thingy.
You know when babies/toddlers get a present that is noisy and flashy and fun, but they only want to play with the box? Spencer has not really grown out of that. Any time there is any sort of box in the house and he discovers it, he says: "Can I have that box?" I have taken to hiding the boxes and taking them out to the recycle when he goes to school. You can imagine what his room is full of. He decided to take one of his beloved Frosted Flakes boxes and make a large articulated hand.
This is the mess from tonight, when Dad joined in with power tools. At any given time such a mess, multiplied by 2 or 3 times is crowding the table or counter(s).
Dad helped James make switch blade. Because it's much safer when Dad helps. They made a great one the first time, but it broke, so they are working on a second.
James patterned his switch blade after Spencer's, which is actually spring loaded, or elastic loaded (?) and made of craft sticks. The one of the right is triggered by a lever on the side. The one of the left can be strapped to your hand and trigger by a lever to extend. Spencer also made a very convincing butterfly knife out of hot glue, craft sticks and toothpicks.
"They are just a creative bunch of boys!" Says the mother to the police, who responds as they are hauled away: "Ma'am, why couldn't you let them just play first person shooter video games like other people."





No comments:
Post a Comment