Sunday, June 1, 2014

Snuggle Huggle

James's last big project for third grade was the Invention Convention.  He had to think of a problem and solve it with a new invention.  Of all three boys, James likes to cuddle the most and doesn't like to be lonely.  So he came up with making a pillow that would hug you.  We googled "hugging pillow" to see if there were others out there.  I would not recommend this google searches.  There are others out there, but James's is by far the most appropriate. I thought we had good filters for internet searches, but apparently hugging pillow is not picked up on the searches!

James drew a prototype, we gathered the materials and I taught him how to sew in a straight, well, semi-straight line.  Straight enough to keep the pillow case together.  He used a pair of gloves and some elastic covered in the same material for arms that wrap around.

He was required to make a project board explaining the problem, displaying an inventors activity log, material list, patent certificate and a report on an inventor.  He chose the inventor of Legos, Ole Kirk Christainsen.


Even Superman needs a hug sometimes!
 James sleeps with his Snuggle Huggle (a name he was reluctant to use, but he couldn't think of anything better than my suggestion) every night.  He actually had one request for purchase.  But I think we'll just keep this as an original.

No comments:

Post a Comment