Sunday, June 29, 2014

End of School Year and Elementary School for D.J.

Our second and beloved son, Dallin Jay, is moving on to Jr. High.  This is by no means an indication of how old I am, but an indication of what a great young man he is turning into, with a sprinkling of teen-ager.  Alright, I'm old.

D.J. gradutaed from the D.A.R.E. program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), a great program taught by police officers about non-violent confrontation in resisting bullying, drugs and other negative peer pressure.  In the above picture the officer asked for people who were good at math and D.J. readily volunteered.


D.J. and James played flag football this Spring. Apparently he doesn't think he needs to pick up any pointers from James's game because he's playing a game of Magic the Gathering with Spencer.

I may have mentioned his sweet Mother's Day outfit before, but just in case I didn't, I'd like to make sure it is immortalized.

At 6th grade graduation, groups of 6th graders stood up to recite a short poem, song or positive thought.  D.J. is doing so with Graham, Hannah and Annalyn.

Getting ready to walk the red carpet!

Each 6th grader had to share six words that summed up who they are.  D.J.'s six words were: "I'm made of sports and math."

At the end of the school year, our district has a math and science competition for all students who do well with six math and science activities: Set, Krypto, Kenken, making catapults, structures out of a surprise resource (newspaper), and wind vehicles.  D.J. did well with Krypto, which is a card game where you combine four numbers using standard math operations to create a target number.  He is really good at it. It hurts my brain.

The theme for the 6th grade graduation was "Be the Star of Your Life!"  D.J. certainly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment