This school year goes on record as the fastest one we've had yet. I can remember the beginning and the end, but the middle gets kind of fuzzy. I don't think I've been more excited for the end of a school year. It has been a busy one and I'm ready for the slower pace of summer (says the person who loves to keep busy). Here are a few of the events of the last week of school:
James received his 3rd grade Doctorate Degree. You may now call him Dr. James. It was a close call, since we had been letting his spelling studies slide. But he made it up by getting 101% on his last test. Whew! He chose a BYU seat cushion as his prize (to bother his Dad), which he used for three full days at his desk.
Dad got to come to this last degree advancement. Two proud people right here.
D.J.'s teacher decided to have an auction with leftover items in her classroom. He was more than happy to bid on a 2 pound bag of Sour Patch Kids (yuck), but less than happy when I reminded him that he couldn't eat them for another 14 months until he gets his braces off. If he does eat them, along with a swig of the cream soda, thankfully he purchased a VeggieTales singing toothbrush. He loves to play this. All day. He said when the toothbrush was on the auction block, only one person bid - $5. He quickly came in at $10 and he became the proud owner. I'm still trying to figure out why his teacher had an extra VeggieTale toothbrush lying around.
Before the first bell of the last day rung, I took D.J. and James to get flowers for their teachers as a thank you. They wrote little thank you notes in the van before entering the school. While James was writing, he asked me: "Mom, if I spelled her name wrong would it make it more tragic?" What? D.J. clued in on it and said, "Oh, yeah, if I write, 'you is teaching me good grammar' that would be really tragic! Let's do it!" And he proceeds to tell me about a Foxtrot comic where there was a tattoo involving the word "mother" and one suggests to the other that if "mother" was spelled wrong, it would be more tragic. No kidding. Thanks Foxtrot. I nipped that in the bud. I'm glad he thought to ask me first, because I'm sure the day will come when he won't.
During the last week, Mrs. Parrish, James's teacher, had the kids dissect owl pellets during the final week. So James came home with a ziplock bag filled with water and digested rat remains. When asked why the remains were in water, James told me it was to get the fur off the bones. You should see my face as I type this. It is scrunched up in disgust, just as it was every time I looked at the bag that, "MUST NOT BE THROWN AWAY," on my kitchen counter where I prepare food. I moved it from sight, but I just knew where it was (via eyes in the back of my head) and I finally told James to put it somewhere else. I don't know where that somewhere else is. I should probably check into that. Thanks a lot Mrs. Parrish.
James, the party boy, wanted to have friends over to our house to celebrate the last day of school. While I was reluctant, I knew it would be nice to have entertainment for him and I'm sure other mothers felt the same way. So this motley crew from his class piled in my van and started in on popsicles when we arrived at home.
I learned something new this year about the end of school: the Jr. High has yearbook signing day on the last day, during which the students pick up their yearbooks, have a few friends sign it and leave. So, Spencer, Seth and a new friend Kellen (a.k.a. Key Lime Pie) had a Super Mario Kart marathon beginning at 9:30 a.m. because they have not yet reached the point where they care about many people signing their yearbooks and will only get girls to sign it on a dare. D.J. joined them when he got home after 6th grade advancement at 10:30. Note to self: the last day of school, is not your last day to have quiet time, you must have quiet time the previous Tuesday or something.
While the older boys were intensely involved in the bazillionth race, the younger boys ambushed them with Nerf guns. War ensued. Nerf, sticks, PVC pipes, plastic balls, socks and tents were involved. I vetoed the use of marbles, golf balls and broken PVC pipes while they stared at me like I was a fun Nazi.
After a movie (Aliens in the Attic - yet again), though I had pizza ready, they were restless and needed to move after 1 1/2 hours of not moving, not to mention the unlimited cookies, licorice, chips and root beer were vying for grastric space. A rousing game of capture the flag began and didn't end until the older boys tricked the younger boys into thinking their flag had disappeared.
I guess the junk food - or junkier food - filled them up pretty well because not much pizza was consumed after that, or it may be the fact that they were distracted by Magic the Gathering cards, Yu-Gi-Oh cards or Pokemon cards until their mothers picked them up and who were met with requests to stay longer. I responded that we close up shop at 7 pm, after 9 1/2 hours of friends, I'm punching my card. It was a fun day though and I'm glad my boys have good friends around them!




No comments:
Post a Comment