One of our favorite and most picturesque places when Mark and I visited Kauai ten years ago was Spouting Horn. Mark liked the pictures so much from 2007 that he put the pictures on large canvas and hung it is his office. The thing about Spouting Horn is that it's magic. Natural magic. You can go to amusement parks and movies and be amazed at the feats that humans can accomplish, their manipulation of cause and effect, one force upon another. But when you witness the cause and effect in nature, it doesn't just bring amazement, it brings reverence. While Spouting Horn doesn't compare to the height of Old Faithful or the roar of a waterfall, the cause and effect of water regularly rushing in from waves to make a horn through a hole in the rock is altogether relaxing and curious.
The chickens and roosters were a constant sources of entertainment and annoyance (alarm clocks). We were impressed that these roosters flew into and rested in a tree.
Mark tried to recreate the picture he took 10 years ago, passing a "do not enter" sign to do so.
I think he did a pretty good job!
The Waimea Canyon is said to be the Grand Canyon of Kauai. Another amazing site to see is the red dirt, which I associate with Southern Utah, though here it is matched with tropical greens and waterfalls.
After getting our Red Dirt shirts as a souvenir and (bonus!) I was given a plumeria flower to wear behind my ear. One of the boys notified me that I'd better wear it over my left ear to signify I'm married and off the market.
We continued to drive past the canyon to the peak of the mountain and arrived at Wai'ale'ale.
It was beautiful! The Napali Coast is just dreamy!
After a day of driving, hiking and sight-seeing, we needed some tropical refreshment!


No comments:
Post a Comment