Monday, November 26, 2012

Halloween Booty

This was a year of firsts for me where Halloween in concerned.  The boys did not have their costumes planned out in July, so we had last minute costumes.  Well, they had their costumes all planned out in their heads, but since I had no idea who they were talking about, I let them make their own.

Here they are:
James is Bane turned clown, Spencer is Leo and D.J. is Jason.
Do you recognize them?  Me either. Here's what I learned: Bane is a bad guy in Batman. Jason is a demi-god in the Percy Jackson series and so is Spencer's character, Leo.

Here's how the season played out:
We went to a trunk or treat at the church.  James was all muscley at the beginning of the night, but by the end of the night, his muscles fell around his waist.  One of the men commented that that is just how life goes.  I don't think James was too thrilled with that, so when actual Halloween rolled around (and Halloween party at Mark's work) he opted for the clown costume standby, which required very little effort.

Spencer and D.J. wore orange and purple t-shirts with jeans and a few significant weapons that each character had.  I love that they dressed as characters from a book and they had a great time with it.  They just had some explaining to do at every house. . . and they were more than happy to do it.  Let me back up a little though.  Not only did D.J. and Spencer dress up as demi-gods, they put together a vehicle called the Argon, using the red wagon as a base.  They thought it was brilliant because instead of walking around the neighborhood, they would take turns riding, plus they wouldn't have to use a bag for their candy, they would just put the candy in the wagon (separate chambers for each boy).

Not only did they take the red wagon every where they went, they commenced with dialogue every time they got on and off the ship.  It went something like this:

Arriving at a new house:
"Dock her here!"
"Anchor's down!"
"Oars up!"

Out for candy and back in the Argon:
"Oars down!"
"Anchor's up!"
"Forward Ho!"

I thought this would last a house or two, but it lasted a good 30 minutes before they stopped the dialogue.  What they didn't stop was calling the wagon their "booty chamber."  Here's how that dialogue went:

Arriving at a house (a proper older lady in particular):
Boys: "Trick or treat!"
Lady: "Oh, what are you dressed as?"
Boys: "Demi-gods."
Lady: "Where is your bag?"
Boys: "We don't need bags, we put it in our booty chamber."
Lady: "Oh my!"
Mom: Sigh.
Boys: "Thank you!"

The best thing I created this year was the deal that if I didn't hear them say thank you, I got the candy from that house.  I'm pleased to say that I didn't end up with any candy. It all went into the booty chamber (which is not code for my rear end).

Here is the pumpkin carving night.  I only had to help scrape the guts out.




 I knew we turned a corner with jack-o-lanterns when all three had weapons sticking out of them:
And let it be known that the pumpkins that have the warts on them are very, very hard to carve.  I ended up painting mine.

James with his post-candy tongue:

D.J.'s school class performed a great Halloween program.  D.J. performed Jerry Seinfeld's "Get Candy."

I figured I'd better go to Spencer's last Halloween parade at his school.  He paraded in character - as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment