Monday, July 18, 2011

Hallelujah Chorus from Spencer

I no longer have staples holding me together!!  This morning a kind nurse removed the five staples from the back of my head and said it looks alright.  After the staple removal, we picked up the boys from their soccer and basketball class, and Spencer started singing the Hallelujah chorus. He never was a fan of the thought of staples in my head and never did look at them, so what a relief for him to not have to imagine that anymore!  I did enjoy the serenade though because I am quite happy that I will be able to lay my head flat on the pillow and wash my hair normally.  Those two things seem silly, but they fall under the category of 'not appreciating things until you lose them'.

On that subject, here are some other things that I generally don't appreciate, but do now:
sweeping and mopping the floor
vacuuming
making dinner (though I generally like this)
sitting up for longer than 20 minutes
weeding the garden (thankfully I did this the day before the vacation)
rising up out of a chair without grunting
picking things up off the floor
lifting the garbage into the garbage can
all sorts of other basic tasks that I do every day without thinking about having the ability to do them

The other good thing about not being able to do them myself, beside appreciating that I can usually do them, is that my boys have stepped up and helped out with these things.  Spencer learned to make Top Ramen, I've taught Spencer and D.J. to mow the lawn, so we're good in that area, they take the garbage out and also put them out on the curb, help me get out of chairs and let me lean on them when I need to.  They've been able to do all the little jobs for a while, but seeing that I can't do much, they help out a little more readily.

Also, Mark's multi-tasking skills are being put to the test while having to complete multiple projects from work and also multiple jobs at home just to keep everything clean and usable. He is victorious. What a guy!

By the way, he has received a few packages of Double Stuff Oreos from very kind people.

Thank you again to all who helped helped ease my healing process and maintain my household by cleaning, baking, making, suggesting, referring, folding laundry, watching my kids, keeping me company, checking in on me and administering electro therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment