The 2016 Tour de Cure was a lovely ride all they way until the last 3 miles when it poured rain. But we made it and felt mighty proud! Well, I did at least.
Mark, my sister Loni and my Dad rode with me this year. Dad and Loni decided to ride 100 miles this year, because they are rock stars, so they left early for an early start time. Before they left, they wrote a chalk note that means so much to me on Tour de Cure days and every other day for that matter. It's the one day where I take the cheers and soak it all in. I'm so grateful to have supportive friends and family!
I'm also grateful for all the other riders that support the cause, so I like to wear my thank you sign when I ride.
Mark is one of my best, kindest and most understanding supporters. He gets that I'm independent and don't like to be babysat, he trusts me with my self-care, but listens when I have my little, or big, pity parties, encourages me to acquire any equipment or supplies that might help me, asks questions to help me think through my care and holds me when my blood sugar is low. I'm going to go ahead and walk down memory lane a little right here. When I was dating Mark, a new fast-acting insulin was introduced to the market and I asked my Doctor if I could try it out (even though he had never heard of it, he agreed). When I told Mark about it, he offered to stay with me for most of the first day of trying it, to make sure I would be ok with the adjustments. The fact that he was even open to being with a diabetic is something, but while I felt strongly about being with Mark before that point, after that day together, I knew he would help me be proactive in my care, which put to rest a huge concern of mine regarding a future spouse. You never REALLY know someone when you marry them, but that day proved to be a good predictor regarding the support Mark has offered and continues to offer me. I have thankd my Father in Heaven daily for Mark, in this way and in many others.
I had four other new supportive participants this year: Spencer, DJ, James and my Mom. They ran/walked the 5K!
When they were done, they posed for pictures!
I posed for a picture at one of our favorite stops sponsored by BadAss Coffee. They have these blow up chairs that are like fluffy clouds to our sore rear ends. Plus, at this point in the ride, I get to have 2-3 red vines without even giving insulin. There's a cause for celebration!
The last three miles brought a down pour! We had to stop under an awning of a Kingdom Hall to protect ourselves for five minutes. When it lightened a little, we headed for the finish line with wonderful Mark telling me "you can do it!" all they way to the end. Here is the whole soggy crew, and me with a carnation in my mouth and it's leaf up my nose!
Loni and Dad came rolling in, completing their 100 miles! I'm so proud of them! We drove back a little to make sure they were alright, and they were pedaling right along while we cheered for them.
We were shivering and shaking at the end because the rain made it so cold, but we were warmed with some curry bowls and car heaters (in June!) and headed home (except for Loni who took a shower at a truck stop and was picked up by her family later - she's even more of a rock star than I thought).
The whole 2016 Tour de Cure crew. I love you all!







No comments:
Post a Comment