Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spencer the Mighty

The name "Spencer the Mighty" is a name he is pleased with.  Since beginning wrestling in the pre-season, he has been very pleased with the growth of his biceps. And triceps, and legs and the beginnings of a six-pack.  We (yes, we) were just completing his Physical Fitness merit badge and noticing how much he's grown in all limbed muscle segments and how many more push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups he can do in one minute.  We also measured his height today and he is close to 5'9".  He wrestles in the 132 weight class.  The below picture was taken during a pre-season tournament in Heber.



If you were able to watch his, sadly on two matches, during Jr. High season, the high pitched screaming at the end is me.  So, I get a little involved in my children's successes and have found that I actually come home a little sore because I'm showing him how to twist and such while I sit helplessly in the stands.  This really isn't helpful to him (or me) since I don't know any wrestling moves, except the kick-and-run-for-your-life move.  I also shed a few tears after the first match because he had waited so long to get a match that I was just so happy for him.  His teammates were happy for him too and when they found out Spencer would be wrestling, they ran to their parents shouting "Spencer got a match!"  The news spread like wild fire in a small Jr. High gym and at the end, we all shed a few tears.  What bonding.

Spencer and Jr. High has been a roller coaster trying to figure out what to expect of him, how to get him to fulfill expectations, how to help him expect more our of himself, and what to expect from seven different teachers.  And then how to learn not to expect anything since teenage behavior is so erratic!  I expect I'll be happy for summer to arrive!  I think both he and his parents have learned a lot - and that's always good.
Spencer borrowed one of my costume hats for crazy hat day.  He was so proud of it when he left, but didn't have it on when he came home as it was a little too crazy.  Too crazy for Jr. High?!?!?  Thank you Mom's costume box(es).

No comments:

Post a Comment