Sunday, May 19, 2013

Life With a Dog

Life has changed a bit with the addition of Roxy, our Lhasa Apso Poodle mix.  There are still times when I think I could do without her, like when she may or may not have eaten some of Grandma's sleeping pill and I had to have her stomach pumped at the vet (I refused to call pet poison control where it would cost me $75 for information).  Or when she just adds to the number of socks being dragged and left around the house.  Or when someone forgets to push their chair in at the table and she eats a cube of butter or a whole piece of salmon.  The number of un-holy dish towels are decreasing and she is still so needy that sometimes when I come home I tip toe around the house so she doesn't think anyone is inside for her to play with. But, with all that comes the cuteness below.


I was relieved to discover that she loves to play in the snow. Since we had so much snow this year, it was difficult to play catch with her, so I would sling a shovel full of snow off the porch and she would run after it, sure that she could apprehend that white ball.


This is Spencer. He used to be afraid of dogs. Now he wrestles with her, hugs her and talks baby talk to her (which drives us so crazy we've had to take disciplinary action for all three boys). I suppose having a dog is worth him not screaming whenever he sees another dog.

This is sick me, yawning. Generally, she is not allowed on the furniture, but I let Roxy cuddle next to me because I lacked the strength to move her off. She's my buddy.  She loves that I am a messy cook and comes whenever I call her, much to the frustration of the boys.  I started liking her more when I decided to put her kennel downstairs to sleep in at night so she doesn't wake me up whining at 6 am.

Two cute beggars. Need I say more?

Roxy got a new bed and a new squeaky dragon (because it actually lasts more than 2 minutes against her teeth) for her birthday. I think she likes them both.

Roxy is very playful, still a puppy at 15 months old.  She loves to play catch and will bump the ball into our legs until we play with her or decide to ignore her long enough to go away for 1 minute.

This boy is why we have Roxy.  D.J. loves her so much, he proposes marriage to her often. She has yet to answer in clear unmistakable terms (thank goodness), but he continues to show her undying affection and has all sorts of "pet" names for her.

My mom remarked that we have to pick up after Roxy more than the boys. That's possible. After tearing into a stuffed animal, she's assumes the pooped-out pose.

I usually take her somewhere else to be groomed, but we got home one day and she was very dirty, so we decided to give her a bath.  After I went to the pet store to get some dog shampoo, I came home to this: all boys in the tub WITH Roxy. Just imagine the clean up for that!

This is what happened today: boys vs. Roxy.  They were careful to make a barrier that she couldn't get through, composed of bar stools, blankets, string and books.  Then to strengthen their defense they got out light sabers, swords, shields and a catapult.  Roxy won.  But she had worthy opponents!

Overall, it's been good to have a dog. We get more exercise.  Her daily care is one of our rotating jobs and the boys are always good about taking care of her. She makes us happy and we smile a lot with her (except for the butter and salmon incidents). I use her as the boy's alarm clock, letting her lick their faces and they always wake up happy to her.  Maybe if I lick their face, they would wake up happy for me. Wait, my Dad used to do that to me and I never woke up happy about it. I'll stick with Roxy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment