Sunday, April 28, 2013

Author, Braces, Dare, Heritage, Minecraft, Race, Work (in alphabetical order)

If you know us, you probably know that we are a family that likes to read.  So, when one of our favorite authors came to the library, we made sure to be there.  Apparently Brandon Mull is a favorite author of many because 500 people showed up to hear him.  The librarians had to split the time into two sessions and Brandon Mull valiantly signed every book put in front of him.  He was there until nearly 12 am. He signed our books at 10:20 pm.  That's right.  We were at the library until very late just to have an author sign our books. I only had to break out Star Wars Angry Birds on my phone for the last 45 minutes.

He was very personable and asked each boy what they liked to do.  James was in the middle of Fablehaven so Mr. Mull signed that for him, D.J. had Candy Shop Wars signed and Spencer brought his copy of The Beyonders.  I just thanked him for writing books my boys love to read.  All three boys were very excited to see him!



Spencer's big change this week (as if the increase in hair product wasn't enough) is the addition of metal to his mouth. He has finally made it out of the sore stage where he would only accept smoothies and pudding past his lips.  He even suggested we blend up all his food just so he can have the taste of regular stuff.  After considering blending up a cheeseburger just to watch him sip it through a straw and observe his reaction, I decided in favor of less waste and assured him that it would just not taste the same.  Be careful about what you say to him about his braces, or he might call you "bracist."

Spencer also graduated from D.A.R.E this week, receiving a bright green t-shirt and a certificate signifying that he knows how to "say no to drugs," communicate better with people, manage anger and stress and respect law enforcers. I think it's great the community and school provides programs like this.  Spencer actually wanted me to pull over the other day so he could say hi to the officer that taught him.






 James completed his "heritage project" wherein he made a doll that represented one of his ancestors.  He chose to represent Great, Great, Great, Great Grandpa Joseph Astling who was a confectioner in England (signified by the marshmallow in one hand, blue taffy in the other and a white apron).  This was one of many projects where James follows the direction of his teacher, Mrs. Roy, to the "t", and of course he does a great job with all of them.  James has other good news: he was accepted into the Spectrum program (the same gifted and talented program that Spencer is in) for his 3rd grade year.  He is very excited and so is everyone else in the family for these reasons: Mom and Dad think James need more of a challenge in school.  Spencer is happy someone else will have the teachers he's had.  D.J. is happy he won't have to wait for James to walk home from school.  James is happy to go where Spencer went to school.


D.J. made a Valentine box this year representing a current passion of the Astling boys: Minecraft.  How do I describe Minescraft?  Cyberlegos? Cyber-mining? Cyber-creating? The boys say, "The goal is to mine, create, and avoid monsters."  You should ask them about it, if you have an hour to spare.  D.J. used three boxes and duct tape to make this likeness of a Minecraft character that now stands in his room and scares me every time I walk in.


I do not have a picture of the race yet because it hasn't happened.  I actually got up the nerve to sign up for the 60 mile ride for the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure  on the first weekend in June.  Why not 100 miles? I'm realistic. And I'm afraid for my rear end. Last July we talked about doing hard things and making goals.  This was my goal.  Now that the weather is good to ride in, I am training and hoping to work up to a 60 mile ride.  It is not as easy as I thought it would be because I get a little bored after a while.  Also, I am not used to vigorous exercise for over an hour and I'm finding my blood sugar level lower more often, both during and after the ride (which is another reason I'm just going for 60).  But, that's all part of the challenge.  It's helpful to have my Continuous Glucose Monitor on rides so I don't have to poke my finger every time I stop and bless the person who made glucose tablets and liquids.  I plan to listen to many audio books while training (with only one earbud in of course) to help relieve boredom.  This ride is a fund raising ride, so I have a minimum amount I must reach in order to be admitted to the race, so if you would like to donate you can go to my Tour de Cure website and give a buck or two.  There will of course be a blog post when I complete the ride!

I do not want to leave out an update on Mark.  He continues to be extremely busy at work because people love him so much, both for who he is and the quality of work he produces.  On top of the busy-ness of work, he manages to make it home in time to be an 11-year-old scout leader, give me a night off every week, help people move, go to piano recitals, flag football games, help other people with finances and taxes and through it all makes me smile and laugh.

We're a busy, crazy bunch of people, but we're happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment