Sunday, October 30, 2011

Partner Astling

He says I can't call him that.  It's not typical anyway, like Dr. Astling, though technically I could call him that, since he has a Juris Doctorate degree.  After years and years of hard work, sacrifice, late nights, early mornings, many jobs, many moves, different schools, three kids, standing out in the freezing cold waiting for the bus. . . . Mark Lawrence Astling. . . .

IS NOW A PARTNER!!!! (At Durham, Jones and Pinegar)

Not a whole lot will change, but this is a huge milestone that an attorney looks to which indicates all the hard work has produced a capable, reliable, knowledgable, accomplished, talented, skilled, clever, proficient, efficient, effective, successful, useful, helpful, valuable, important person. And that somebody wants to keep him!

Here are just a few things he has experienced to get to this point.

Marrying me. I'm not taking credit for his accomplishment. I'm just happy to be along for the ride and hopefully provided, as my Dad put it, some "wind beneath his wings."

An assortment of jobs to get him through school: warehouse technician, home improvement salesperson, file clerk, courier, tax specialist, associate attorney, and other character enhancing employment.

The biggest character enhancement has been fathering three boys through all of this (which means he had to put up with pregnant me three times too). Mark was in charge of potty training (perhaps not resume worthy, but certainly important), pinewood derbys, making us all laugh, playing games, wrestling and rough-housing, fashioning costumes, making Star Wars movies, fixing broken things, keeping us all warm and comfortable, and much, much more.

We've moved eight times in 14 years.

As I continue to list things, I'm amazed at all that has happened in 14 years and I won't bore you with more.  But I will say this: Mark has always had a direction and he has worked really, really, really hard to achieve his goals.  He works in a field that interests him, that he is happy with, and that provides well for his family.  While a profession is not the end-all, be-all of existence, Mark is pretty good at that part of existence.

I'm so proud of him! I'm pleased to be a part of his life.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Mark. So sorry I missed our lunch today. I'm feeling better, so you let me know when you want to lunch and we'll arrange it.

    ReplyDelete