Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cashiers and Checkers

I think cashiers and checkers are highly entertaining. Here are a few of my favorite:

When we lived in Sugarhouse a million years ago, we frequented Harmon's. There was a lady there that I think did not use eye make-up remover. The bottom layer of mascara was probably applied in 1979 and added to daily. She got the effect she was looking for though: stunning. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

At our local grocery store, we have some characters. There used to be a cashier there that I loved because he would always do impersonations of cartoon characters for my kids: Scooby-Doo, Shaggy, Casper the friendly ghost, Star Wars characters, etc. The baggers (teenagers) would just roll their eyes and wish their shift to be over, but I loved it.

Another from the local store has this amazing ability to spout rapid-fire random information while scanning UPC's. And I mean random - anything from how to ripen peaches, to the voice of cartoons being the same man, to how the vendors deliver food. And I mean rapid-fire. That's really the amazing part. Again, the baggers (teenagers) act like this is punishment for being late to work.

My favorite checker is at Smith's. He has afro-like hair, and seems genuinely interested in how my day is going. He makes sure I get good sales and that I use my coupons at the right time. I don't know why he works there but he takes pleasure in every customer and I can appreciate that.

Last week I went to Michael's to purchase a plain white t-shirt for $2.50. The cashier had scanned the UPC and she said, "That will be $90." I jerked my head up in surprise (because not even Tommy Hilfiger shirts are that much - I think - I've never bought one) she looked at me with a straight face and then started laughing. Then I started laughing and couldn't stop! She apologized and said that she really shouldn't do that. I said probably not, but I hadn't laughed all day until then!

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting to briefly mingle with the cashiers that provide us with their services! I have to share a view from the perspective of the cashier. I often have to cashier at Sams now and I must say that the members/customers that I see on a daily basis are just as interesting, if not more so, than the cashiers themselves. I am often left in shock after hearing some of the comments that people share with complete strangers. Funny, Funny, people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take any of them over the grumpy kind that don't greet you or send you off with a nice farewell or scrutinize every single coupoone I have, especially on the days that I have 50 of them. I've actually gone through a drive through at McDonalds and after my order was taken, not one more word was said to me the rest of the transaction. Right after that I went to Taco Bell next door for my own lunch and the girl in their drive through said, "Hi how are you?" and my kids in the back of the car said, "wow, she's so nice!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, I means coupon, not coupoone... lol! Not sure how I typed that out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not laughed all day until now and it's 9:30pm. I can just picture your face at Michael's and then hear you laughing in the store over what was a really great joke! Can't believe she had the guts to even try such a thing! I love people like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loni, I'm sure you see a lot of wacko's. I'm one of them. And you get to see more of them at one time! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete