Friday, January 1, 2010

Cake Review 2009

Here they are. . . . . (drum roll) the cakes from 2009. With every cake I do, two hours into it, I wonder why I do this. Then I go to bed and remember why the next morning when I hear excitement and see animated faces. Still, I'm a certifiable nut. Certified by me.

Here is James's cake for the year. He wanted a Bakugan cake like Spencer had, but I just couldn't bring myself to do another sphere like Spencer's, so I did one with an open Bakugan on a gate card. Bakugan are little balls with a magnet in them that when triggered open up into fighting creatures. James turned five if you couldn't tell. It is all cake except for the long head and crab-like pincers - they are rice krispie treats.


At around 11:30 pm, I had just finished the sheet cake decoration (grossly underestimating the time it would take, as usual) and I told Mark I was just going to put a store bought Bakugan on top. He told me he would help crank it out, so here he is, my lovely assistant in the cow pattern apron in the cake-tornado hit kitchen. I could not have done it without him. XOXOXO


Spencer requested a Bakugan cake. I will just tell you now that I watch too much "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Channel and truly had delusions of grandeur, thinking that I could make a spherical cake. It turned out well enough to please a nine-year-old, which is all I care about (after I get over my perfectionist tendency). The bottom of the sphere is styrofoam, the top is pound cake. It is a Bakugan in ball form, with three toy Bakugan opened.
Mark and I went to a Utah football game a week or so before his birthday. Until then I did not have the faintest idea of what cake I could make for him. While we were sitting in our seats, he elbowed me and pointed to a man across the aisle and said, "I want a gold earring like that." Ding! Mark got a glittery gold earring cake. He better watch what he says next year!
I'm wondering if this is the last Star Wars cake I will be making. This year: Star Wars -1, Bakugan -2. D.J. requested a Geonosan Star Wars Cake (see Episode II). I did the landscape complete with a Geonosan hive (thank you Pepperidge Farms Pirrouttes) topped with Lego action figures. He had a Lego party, so it fit.
This cake is my favorite for the year. My Grandma Wheeler turned 80 this year. She had a Springville Devil's party (her high school Alma mater) complete with Springville Devil's symbol cake with fire around the sides and a marching band.

Whew! I can take a break until next August! I think I'll be ready by then. If you are wondering, I request pie for my birthday cake :).

6 comments:

  1. I just signed up for a cake decorating class that runs from Jan. 25 through March 1. It is each Monday from 9:00-12:00. I'm so excited. I will have to blog about my cake creations or disasters, which ever they will be. Yours have been fabulous. Good job, you nut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented...and so crazy!!! I don't have the talent or the patience to do that. I wish I did because those are some amazing cakes. My little boy would go crazy over them. But even better than the cakes is how you describe them. You should be an author. I love to read everything you write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa! You are amazing! I am feeling very lazy now, because my kids all get cakes from Cub or Dairy Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Lisa! And, if you haven't seen it yet, you should check out http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

    I know you like a good laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do your make the frosting out of?? It looks like a sheet that you can manipulate and evn cut...like marzipan??

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodi, I make my own fondant out of marshmellows and powdered sugar and a little water.
    Kayleen - cakewrecks is hilarious!
    Jen - lazy is not in your vocabulary.
    Cheryl - you'll have to give me tips!

    ReplyDelete