Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gravity Went to My Head: My First 5K

Mark and I participated in the Juvenile Diabetes Jingle Bell 5K on Friday night. Yup, night. It was 30 degrees F. But let me start at the beginning. Rewind to August.

I usually walk in the mornings for 30-45 mintues. I find that my blood sugar is much more managable if I do, plus I love that it's my time to listen and look at what I want. One day in August I was walking uphill and I met one of my friends who was running down hill. I said, "I didn't know that you liked to run." She said, "Well, I figure I can walk uphill and run downhill."

I pondered that for a while. Gravity can be my friend. I thought that maybe I could do that, but I might just have to eat some crow because usually when I meet someone who runs I suggest that they are off their rocker. One day I tried it. I didn't get far with the running, but I kept running a little every day. I now walk uphill and run downhill every time I go out to exercise. Well, running is probably not the appropriate work. In fact, jogging is still probably too strong. Just ask Mark.

In the middle of November the local newspaper started advertising a 5K run in support of Juvenile Diabetes. When I saw the ad, here was my thought pattern: I have diabetes, I can run, sign me up. I told Mark about it and he, let me make this clear, he, without any coersion, said that he would run it with me.

So, I figured out how many miles I usually walk/jog: 2.2 miles. No problem! What's another mile? The day before the race I made sure to walk/jog for an extra mile, no prob.

Mark and I get ready for the race Friday evening. Did I mention it was 30 degrees? We bundled up and after shuffling the kids around for babysitting, made it to the starting line five minutes before the race. People are dressed up as Santas and Elves. I usually love dressing up for things, but striped tights and short Santa pants did not seem fun in 30 degree weather. Strapping jingle bells to our shoes was enough dress up for me.

We started out running and promptly discovered that Mark runs faster than I do. Well, to be accurate, Mark runs, I trot. Being the nice supportive husband that he is, he tried to stay with me most of the time, which was a mind-numbing and physical torture for him I think. So, we walked a bit, then ran a bit off and on. We tried to get ahead of the Santa's helpers, and were successful until the last 100 yards. Well, Mark was successful at finishing before them. I figured they had an important job to get to, so I'd better let them go ahead.

Toward the finish line, the clock people were yelling "good job!", and I suddenly felt my throat tightening and my eyes watering. I may not have run that race, but I did finish and I took their accolades to heart. Mark finished 8th to last (though he would've finished sooner if he didn't have to wait for me I'm sure - thanks sweetie pie honey bunch!). I finished third to last and that's only because a Mom with a little boy on his bike fell over right before the finish line.

I had fun and felt happy that my body could even do it and not be too sore the next day. My goal next year is to trot the whole "race" and let Mark go as fast as he wants. You can join me if you want to! www.jb5k.org

6 comments:

  1. I tried getting used to running a while ago but I just don't enjoy it. I tried walking a bit and jogging a bit but I finally went back to just walking. Congratulations on running your race. I hope you enjoy it next year also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! The part about the lady and the kid on the bike... priceless. Lisa you are amazing and I am so happy that I know you. If they rename it the Jiggle Bell 5K, I'll be right there with you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! That's awesome... a fellow-5Ker. How about you guys come out and run Grandma's with us next year and then we'll come run your diabetes one with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! You must have been keeping this to yourself as we've talked about the running downhill, but didn't mention the race! Thrilled for you! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! And I think it's great you and Mark got involved like that! Doing it again next year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. David, Yes, we will be doing the race again next year, but I will require Mark to run at his own pace!

    ReplyDelete