In September I was The Man in the Yellow Hat. In October I was a real witch, not a fairy tale witch, from Roald Dahl's fabulous book, "The Witches." This month I'm going to be Amelia Bedelia.
We had a PTA board meeting yesterday and I gave the board a review of my fun and told them the theme for December is giving. Many people asked if I was going to read "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I told them that I had considered it, but I hadn't decided. The principal said that she didn't like that book much because it encouraged co-dependence and the boy just takes and takes. This idea had occurred to me, but I prefer to focus on the tree that gives his all, which others in the room agree to do as well.
After the meeting, I picked up James from playgroup and the Moms there (one other was on the board) started the conversation again, with a Mom perspective. They asked if I was going to dress up as the stump. We laughed about it, but then a Mom who is busy with moving into a new house said, "I don't know, I feel like the stump quite a bit! Parents give and give and give until we just feel like stumps sometimes." We laughed some more and then I recommended a picture book called "The Mightiest" that I love because the Mom ends up being the mightiest creature above a bear, a lion, an elephant and a giant.
I will never be able to read "The Giving Tree" again without controversy.
I'm shying away from reading it to the elementary school kids that have a tendency to see right through you. I was a little concerned about reading it to them before, but now I'm hyperaware of different interpretations. Should I use it as a good discussion book? With Kindergarteners?
Does anybody have recommendations for a book about giving?
A book that I love that is Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox. It's about a little boy who is growing up next to a retirement community. His favorite person there is Miss Nancy and he hears that she is losing her memory. He doesn't know what a memory is but he collects different things to give to her and helps her get her memory back. It's a wonderful story and while not necessarily heavy on the giving theme I think it is there.
ReplyDeleteI love Amelia Bedelia! That's so cool that you get to dress up every month and share a cool book! What a good idea!
I think people read too much into the book, but I said that at the meeting. I don't know that I have a favorite, except you! You are the most awesome friend, helper, therapist, mom a girl could know. Good job to you. We should write a story about you to read to the kids. That would be awesome!
ReplyDelete