My Grandma Sherry Wheeler passed away on January 12, 2016. I love her so much! She was an inspiration to me in many ways, but mostly in the way that she loved people unconditionally. She could figure out how to love even the most difficult person. She loved everyone. Her optimism and humor were contagious and necessary. That's how she got through life, and she had a wonderful life. I certainly miss her, but the many wonderful memories I have of her make me feel like she is close by. In commemorating her life at her funeral, there were many tears, but many more smiles. I think she would have it that way.
I made this Springville Devils mascot cake for her 80th birthday, where a small group of the high school marching band came to play happy birthday for her.
One of the many costumes she donned to perform her skits for the Wheeler Family reunions.
One of the last pictures I took with her in the nursing home before she passed away. Even while on oxygen, barely able to eat or move or carry on conversation, the most common words out of her mouth to anyone that would come to visit were: I love you!
All of the Paul Wheeler family came into town for the funeral, and when we are together, there is fun to be had. The Watson kids, Jesse and Grandpa joined us at the South Davis Rec Center for an hour of the new family favorite: pickle ball. I was still in a shoulder sling so I was happy to play with Chase and Chloe.
D.J. and his trickery.
James is too speedy for a still picture.
Chloe and I chased the ball more than hit it.
Here is the more intense game. Jesse is in the green shirt, Grandpa in the grey, Devin in the red and I think Spencer is the other player.
We moved from pickle ball to the climbing wall.
James and Chase.
After the viewing, in honor of Great Grandma and Grandpa Wheeler, we dined at Chuck-a-Rama (Sam, Chase, Spencer, DJ, Devin) . . .
. . . where you can slurp jello through a straw (Miles) . .
. . eat whatever concoction of desserts you want (Mason) . . .
. . maybe have an adult discussion in between buffet runs (Ryan, Jesse, Mark, Loni) . .
. . have your own girl table (Tessa, Jara, Chloe) . .
. . sleep if you don't feel well (Elise). .
. . drink three slurpees at the same time (Chase). Needless to say, the waitress deserved and received a great tip. I don't think Great Grandpa and Grandma would have it any other way. . pure, unadulterated crazy!
Great Grandma always set up a fish pond at every family reunion that I can remember. In honor of her, we had one last fish pond where we received things like whoopee cushions, green bowler hats, pig chip clips that oink, beads and a number of other wacky items. The Paul Wheeler family cousins all together!
The Paul Wheeler family all together!
The Paul Wheeler family in their true form. Complements of DNA from Sherry Wheeler. How proud she would be! Seriously.







No comments:
Post a Comment