The Tour de Cure this year was another success! We started out the riding season thinking that we would attempt the 75 mile course, but our weekends and activities became too full to allow for training our aging bodies. So we opted for the 55 mile course again, and it's a good thing we were realistic about it because at about mile 50 I asked Mark if we could've continued for 75 miles and we both agreed. . . NO!
The Tour was the same course as last year, a beautiful, flat, ride through a bird refuge and farmlands. We started off in downtown Brigham City with diabetic success stories and cheers. I nearly broke down in tears when I obtained my Red Rider jersey and the volunteer handed me the jersey, holding up the inside of the neck, which says (and she voiced) "You are why we Ride." I also got a little teary when another Red Rider I passed and yelled, "go Red Rider!" She yelled back, "We are awesome!"
Along the way there are a number of rest stops full of all sorts of food, but my favorite was the pickles! I was able to eat a few Red Vines this year to prevent a low blood sugar at the last stop. I was quite happy with my blood sugar throughout the ride, checking at every stop to make sure I was ok, I stayed in the 90-150 range. The stop in the picture above had these great blow-up chairs that we stayed in for 30 seconds before we were off again. I love the rest stops because most of the businesses that sponsor the stops are related in some way to a diabetic and they understand my life.
My great husband, who probably could ride circles around me and finish at least 1/2 hour before I could, stayed with me until the last 1/2 mile so he could take a picture of me finishing. He is so patient, supportive and helpful with all I have to do to maintain life. Right after I finished I heard someone yelling my number, I turned around and this little boy gave me a red rose for finishing (courtesy of Wells Fargo).
Hail the conquering heroes! Well, maybe not heroes, but we did feel conquering-like. Looking forward to next year!




No comments:
Post a Comment