D.J. observed this week that it is the first week since November that he hasn't had any activity to run to after school. November through March was full of wrestling training and competition. D.J. chose a new sport for the Astling family: track, which filled March and April. More on that later.
First, I thought this picture was fitting to start of with because D.J.'s favorite position is slouching. Also, it is a before picture. Before Mark fulfilled his dreams of being a hairdresser. D.J. wanted to grow his hair long, but we required it to be styled (washed and combed) if it was long. He is against styling (not washing, just combing), so Mark tried his hand at styling.
I think he got four ponytails in all.
These two pictures are some of the last before we persuaded him to go to Sportscuts (thank you to whomever thought of showing sports while getting a hair cut). The shorter cut is in the track pictures below. Hubba hubba!
D.J. chose two events for track: shot put and discus. This made Grandpa Wheeler happy and interested because those are the events that he did in high school and received a college scholarship for (discus).
D.J.'s season record for shot put is 23'11". In addition to Grandpa's words of wisdom, he had good peers helping and a variety of coaches.
There were three track meets total, which I would describe as loud teenager chaos, but miraculously accomplished all events.
D.J.'s season discus record is 62'6". It was just fun to watch him try so hard, progress and feel good about his accomplishments.
So now that school is winding down and D.J. is not involved in sports, he has some time on his hands to do whatever he wants. This day he wanted to build a rope ladder across the swing set. I often watch them from the kitchen window with the phone close by in case I need to call 911. But I didn't even stay in the kitchen this time, as I knew I would be needed on hand before the ambulance could get there. And of course I had to take pictures for proof to show the paramedics of what he was really doing.
D.J. did not think it would be efficient to tie PVC pipe on both sides of the pipe, so I just tied them in the middle. He must have figured stability is no fun.
He starts from one side (multiple times) and learned that crossing on your belly doesn't work.
But crossing on you back gets you farther.
Farther into what, is the question.
He finally did it and nobody was hurt in the making of this rope ladder.
D.J. said the Spring Camporee was one of the best Scout Camps he's ever been to. Even though it was cold and raining, the mix of activities, friends and leaders proved to be a successful recipe.


No comments:
Post a Comment