We got a bum deal for Spring Break this year. Instead of having a whole week of school off, we had Friday, Monday and Tuesday. But the good news was that Mark's firm had an attorney retreat in St.George which coincided with Spring Break. I asked the Logandale Wheelers (Jed and Ryan families) if they would take care of our boys for a couple of nights, which worked out great! What worked out even better was the idea Joshlyn had for us to stay at their house while we took care of their kids so they could have a few nights away for their 10th anniversary! Brilliant!
While we were childless, we braved a few zip lines west of Green Valley with a few other couples. Mark survived the heights and I survived attorney humor (which honestly, I love).
Since we had a lot of extra time after zip lining, we decided to partake of another offered activity: skeet shooting. We went to Hurricane (pronounced Hurracun), past the Harley Shop, past the rodeo, past a crazy amount of horse trailers, horses and western folk, past the rifle range, past the archery range to the skeet range. The range was set up sort of like a golf course where we rode in a golf cart to 12 different stations. At each station there were two, umm skeet slinger machines, which threw the clay disc things right, left or straight at you. The lady and man at the desk helped us novices by showing us how to operate the guns ("oh, no, never put the safety on" he says, and "you got something to open the box with?" the lady said as she approached us in three long strides with a pocket knife - blade out). I'm sure they laughed themselves silly as they pointed us in the right direction, told us to keep the safety off and let us roam the land with loaded guns and other people in the vicinity.
After shooting the first round, we all determined that we were going to be sore and bruised by the end of 12 rounds. So we kept going.
Mark and his friend Peter, braved the guns and much fun. They both shot 12 out of 50. Mark's friend Ryan did the best with 28 out of 50.
I lasted all 12 rounds, surprisingly. Jinjer, Peter's wife, was the wisest one and stopped after the first two shots. I didn't do too badly either. 19 out of 50. Yup. 2nd place, baby. AND I didn't get a bruise on my shoulder or arm! I feel a little more secure that should we ever be subject to a zombie apocalypse, I might last a half a day longer than Mark or Peter and maybe I could scare up some dinner. That is, if we owned any guns, which we don't. Still, I feel more secure. Here is the score card for posterity and proof:
When we went to Logandale to remember how to be parents, we met up with the Wheeler cousins at Ryan's work camp. . . I mean field. He had the boys carrying dried tree branches into a pile for a bon fire later that night. See how picked on and forlorn they are:
Yet, strength is the benefit of such work:
Plus, they got the best bucket seat ride in the world back to Ryan's house.
AND they got to swim in the pool. They are all certifiable nut cases as the water was NOT warm, but who notices temperature when having fun together makes warmth!
Mason donned a life-diaper, rather than a life-jacket.
D.J. is cold enough to wrap up in a towel, but the water is too tempting and he must be a part of it somehow.
Elise and Jara got in and got out, which was fine by me. I couldn't deny them getting into their swim suits with everyone else, but it didn't last long.
This reminded me of animals sunbathing on rocks in the ocean.
After a great dinner (thank you Wendy!) we took all the kids over to the work camp site. . . I mean field, and roasted marshmallows after the two small bon fires died down. Ryan exercised caution and did not light the big bon fire as the wind picked up. Whew!
All children were alive by the end of our vacation, all parents returned safely, only a few bandages were involved, Jed's home will be free of Astling's and contractors (three came the last day we were there), and we had much fun with cousins!




No comments:
Post a Comment