Year number 4. I don't think I'll be able to quit. Being the reading lady is like being a Grandma I think. I come and have fun with the kids for 20 minutes and then leave the responsible stuff to the teachers. I love reading to kids! I do toddler story time at the public library too, but they won't let me wear costumes there (though I get away with a hat sometimes and make up for a costume in shenanigans because toddlers won't listen to 30 minutes of stories unless there is a bit of shenanigans). One of the fun things about coming to the school in costumes is that I can get away with wearing almost anything any other day - yoga clothes, bike shorts, sweats and whatever my hair seems to be doing after getting 3 kids off to school. One kid asked me what I was dressed as one day when I was just wearing workout pants an a t-shirt. I told him I was a frumpy housewife. He tried to figure out what book that was from. The book of life, my boy.
The school theme this year was: "Around the World" because we woefully discovered at the geography bee that our students need help in that area. So for literacy night I dressed as Waldo. Mrs. Beesley also dressed as Waldo too! I'm glad I got a picture with her as she was all three boy's 1st grade teacher and she retired this year!
For North America, I read Tornado Slim and the Magic Cowboy Hat and donned my cowgirl duds.
Mud Tacos and SkippyJon Jones were books from South Americas and Mrs. Kennington let me borrow her sombrero - can you see it?
Madeline is from France and represented all of Europe for January.
It's amazing what can be done with craft foam. I've made frog feet, bear feet and this year penguin feet with the marvelous stuff! Tacky the Penguin never fails to entertain. So many kids had read this book already that they read it out loud with me!
That's it for this year! Stay tuned for next year (and possibly my last as DJ will move on to Jr High the following year and James will be at a different school). . . .




No comments:
Post a Comment