Monday, June 13, 2011

Lovely Lit. Lady

I have completed a second year of reading to classes at school, which means dressing up as book characters.  The kids seem to enjoy it, but I enjoy it more!  I love books and my hope is to help kids love books too, or at least help them understand that books can be more fun than just the required reading.  The school theme for the year was Celebration! because it was the school's 50th birthday, so almost every month we celebrated some sort of theme in books.  Here's the year in review:

"Celebrate you!" books: I'm Gonna Like Me, Ramona and The Giver.  I dressed up as me. Can you tell?  My favorite things: my hair is in Princess Leia buns because it's one of my favorite movies, my favorite sock (one green and the other striped), green is my favorite color, my favorite holiday is Christmas (Christmas sweatshirt), my favorite slippers.  One of the teachers took her class to the grocery store for a field trip and they all received stickers that said "special today." She gave me her sticker. Wonder why?


"Celebrate Imagination," books: The Borrowers, The Librarian from the Black Lagoon, Not a Box/ Not a Stick.  I was the Teacher from the Black Lagoon, complete with eyes in the back of my head.  The kids had a really great time pointing out my stick on mole. I had a great time pretending I didn't know what they were talking about. . which drove them crazy. . I really am the teacher from the Black Lagoon.


"Celebrate Kindness," books: The Unfinished Angel, by Sharon Creech, George and Martha, Piggie and Elephant books (favorite books at our house), by Mo Willams, one of my favorite children's book authors.  Yes, I am wearing gold shoes and gold stockings:


For Literacy Week, I read to the kids during lunchtime. Although it worked well last year,  I'm not sure I will continue next year because they would not listen.  Maybe because I looked like a stranger and they were trying to ignore me.  I read, The Twits, by Roald Dahl, therefore I dressed as a Twit, complete with barbs in my beard.

"Celebrate Fairytales," books: The Kiss That Missed (very cute), Peter and the Starcatchers, Moongobble and Me series. I twirled a lot in this dress. You can't tell from the picture, but I also have ringlets. :)

"Celebrate Sports," books: Heat, by Mike Lupica, sports selections from The Bailey School Kids,  Good For You and Me, by Mercer Mayer.  I'd just like to say, that I am wearing Spencer's jersey.

"Celebrate Reading," book: The Wretched Stone, by Christ VanAllsberg.  I am an ape.  You have to read the book to see why.  The kids had a great time guessing what the stone represents.  A good book to encourage reading through the summer.

Many thanks to Mark who took all of these pictures on rushed mornings. Hopefully the chuckles were a satisfactory payment.  This is just one of the many things that you don't find out about someone before you marry them.  The poor man puts up with a lot of my shenanigans. Though truthfully, when I thought about being involved in my kid's school career, this was not foreseen.  Hooray for adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, you're awesome! I'm so blessed to know you and these kids are so lucky to have someone like you share your love of reading with them.

    ReplyDelete